The magnificent grade II listed clock tower located on the Esplanade beside the putting green was built in commemoration of the Coronation of George V. in 1911. It was gifted to the town by wealthy business man Alfred Shuttleworth on condition that there was no fuss or ceremony attached to its unveiling, however a commemorative plaque on the tower recognises his generosity.
The actual designer of the tower remains unknown but it was constructed in the Wren style named after the prolific 17th century architect Christopher Wren, most famous for reconstructing St Paul’s Cathedral along with 52 other churches following the Great Fire of London.
The clock its self was manufactured by Leeds clockmakers William Potts and Sons Ltd. and had to be wound regularly. It was eventually upgraded to an electric motor in the 1960’s after a council employee tasked with winding it became stuck in the tower overnight when his ladder slipped.
Fun Fact: Alfred Shuttleworth owned a magnificent house on the Esplanade called Red Court. It is now a grade II listed building and it doubled as St Aiden’s Royal Free Hospital in ITV’s popular period drama The Royal which ran for 8 series between 2003-2011.